Vs: Reserved word? or not?

From: Teijo Lallukka <teijo.lallukka_at_edita.fi>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 07:41:45 +0300

Language is PL/SQL keyword so it should not be used as columns name or table name etc.

>>> "Jack van Zanen" <jack_at_vanzanen.com> 24.9.2008 7:17:59 >>>
Hi All

We have an external table that reads from a datafile just fine in Oracle 9i. However we upgraded our test environment to 10G and now it complaints about the column name "LANGUAGE". It expects double quotes.

I had a look in the v$reserved_words view and do not see this word as reserved.
Changing the column name to language1(or something) fixes the problem, but I am wondering why we need to do this.

J.A. van Zanen