Re: wow. cloud computing is getting serious (oracle + amazon + openworld announcement)

From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 20:10:14 -0600

Not so sure, there...

You pay for more than *just* bandwdth -- you pay for CPU-hours and each (million) of your IOs, too. I know of quite a few databases that can go through a million IOs in a real hurry.

This is something that *could* be very interesting for low-volume applications. Training sand-boxes come to mind. Development systems. Maybe even test servers if they are used only infrequently.

I do not profess to know much of anything about Amazon's EC2 offering, but having run a few numbers through their online pricing tool, it seems to me that EC2 will have a tough time competing with the purchase price of an 8-core Sun XFire 4x40 server, at least for a consistently busy database that you plan on keeping for more than a few months.

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 8:01 AM, Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com> wrote:

> seems to me the big catch is upload bandwidth. Now if they provide a way
> to send in your initial bulk by sneakernet (or trucknet) so you can keep
> your upload bandwidth down to something just proportional to changes, I
> think this will indeed be the advent of a watershed event. Data will nearly
> never be lost, and eventually everyone will have access to everything in the
> cloud, by hook or by crook.

Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead
Senior DBA,