Re: Oracle on Sun T2 performance problems

From: Bradd Piontek <piontekdd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 15:23:34 -0500

You may want to make a distinction between a T2000 (which has a T1 chip in it, only on FPU for all the cores) and the T2 chip that ships in the T42XX series of servers (that have a dedicated FPU per core, I believe).

For RMAN, with a T1 chipset, we saw dismal performance with rman compression (due to the floating point issue). I expect this to be much different on the T2 chips. Oracle licensing between the two is different as well (.25;/core for T1 and .75/core for the T2).

Bradd Piontek
Oracle Blog: http://piontekdd.blogspot.com Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/in/piontekdd