RMAN and Backupexec

From: Jeffrey Beckstrom <JBECKSTROM_at_gcrta.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 12:57:05 -0400

We are running windows with Backupexec. We are being told that the new version of Backupexec uses RMAN. The problem is that Symantec support is telling us that can ONLY have one version of RMAN on the server at a time. We have Oracle 10g and 9i on the windows server. Symantec is telling us that backup for the 9i database is failing because it is trying to run the 10g version of RMAN against a 9i database.

Is what Symantec is telling us true?

How can you have multiple database versions if this is true?

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Database Administrator
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority 1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113