Re: Steps to Upgrade Rman Catalog Database.

From: Fuad Arshad <>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 08:45:33 -0700 (PDT)

You would normally as oracle recommended practice keep your oracle catalog the same or a level up from the highest version of the database you have this helps in making sure all you databases can me backed up successfully with no compatibility issues . Brad has provided the steps to upgrade the catalog

On Sep 23, 2008, at 7:38, "Bradd Piontek" <> wrote:

I've always just kept the catalog database at the latest version, per what you've read. So, before I deploy a patchset to an actual database:

1. patch the Oracle_home for the Recovery Catalog and follow the patch procedures for the database.
2. RMAN catalog=username/password
3. upgrade catalog;

You should be able to find a compatibility matrix for Catalog versions and rman client versions on Metalink. I've never seen a reason to have multiple catalogs on one database, YMMV.

Bradd Piontek

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Shanmugam, Dhandapani <> wrote:

We have created a new Oracle rman recovery catalog which works fine with our Oracle 9 and 10 ( databases on Solaris Server

Problem is that I also just created a new installation of Oracle on a new Solaris server but I can't seem to register my new database from this server. I get the following message when I connect from the client to the RMAN catalog database:

$ rman target sys/$SYS catalog rman/xxxxxxx_at_ccrcat

Recovery Manager: Release - Production on Tue May 27 09:50:14 2008

Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle. All rights reserved.

connected to target database: ASCT (DBID=2479914243) connected to recovery catalog database
PL/SQL package RMAN.DBMS_RCVCAT version in RCVCAT database is not current
PL/SQL package RMAN.DBMS_RCVMAN version in RCVCAT database is not current

From metalink i understood that
RMAN catalog schema version should be atleast equal to or greater than its target database. So yes upgrade to According to this metalink note: RMAN Compatibility Matrix Doc ID: Note:73431.1 ,
My question is what are the steps I need to follow for upgrading catalog database. Also i have installed oracle software on rman catalog database server.Kindly advice on this

Thanks and Regards,