Failsafe & Grid Control Agent

From: Taylor, Chris David <Chris.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 10:48:11 -0500

Guys & Gals,

I'm curious about something. I've been running into all kinds of difficulties installing the Mgmt Agent into the Failsafe cluster and I finally figured out a fix. (The question is below) - Only took me like 2 days too!

Setup:
Node1 = Ora04 - AGENT_HOME = c:\oracle\agent10g Node2 = Ora05 - AGENT_HOME = c:\oracle\agent10g Virtual Machine Name: OraV01 - AGENT_HOME= c:\oracle\agent10g\OracleAgent10gAgentOraV01 (The Failsafe manager creates this directory by ServiceName+Hostname - This becomes the EM_STATE directory for the agent running on the Virtual Hostname (OraV01)

  1. Now, what I had to do was install the agent on both physical nodes and get it running individually on each node. No problem there.
  2. Secure the individual agents (emctl secure agent <password>)
  3. Install the agent thru the cluster software onto the "virtual hostname" thru the failsafe manager - Problem #1 (see below for resolution)
  4. After the getting the virtual agent installed - the failover for the agent would hang. Apparently the agent loses its "secure" connection - Problem #2

Resolutions:
#1 - When you install the agent thru the Failsafe manager onto the
Virtual Hostname, it hangs waiting to secure the new agent in the OraV01 directory above. You must drop out to a command prompt on the first node that the failsafe manager is configuring and cd to your AGENT_HOME directory (i.e. c:\oracle\agent10g\OracleAgent10gAgentOraV01). You should see 2 directories: bin and sysman. CD into the bin directory and type: emctl secure agent <your_password>. Oracle failsafe manager will now correctly configure the agent on node 1. It will automatically begin to do the same for node 2. It will also hang on node 2. So do the same, drop out to a cmd prompt on node2 and secure the agent there under the new AGENT_HOME it creates.

#2 - Shut down the virtual agent on whichever node it is running.
Secure it again (emctl secure agent <your password> and COPY the contents of c:\oracle\agent10g\OracleAgent10gAgentOraV01\* to the other node!). Start the agent again in the cluster software. Now fail the agent over and it should failover back and forth seamlessly now.

So, this leads me into my QUESTION:

Should the EM_STATE directory for the agent running on the 'Virtual Host' be on SHARED storage instead of LOCAL storage on each node???

If so, and it appears so, it would be nice if at least ONE Oracle document mentioned this fact. :)

I have it running now by copying the EM_STATE dir from 1 node to the other - so the wallets match.

Anyone run into anything similar to this?

Chris Taylor
Sr. Oracle DBA
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205
Office: 615-517-3355
Cell: 615-354-4799
Email: chris.taylor_at_ingrambarge.com

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Taylor, Chris David Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 10:14 AM To: paul.baumgartel_at_credit-suisse.com; ORACLE-L Subject: RE: New MetaLink URL

Oy vey.

The link won't bring up metalink now for me. Causes IE7 to quit responding. Was working fine yesterday.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Baumgartel, Paul Sent: Monday, September 22, 2008 1:48 PM To: ORACLE-L
Subject: New MetaLink URL

https://metalink.oracle.com/CSP/ui/signin_en.html?language=en <https://metalink.oracle.com/CSP/ui/signin_en.html?language=en>

Paul Baumgartel
CREDIT SUISSE