RE: Centos el5 on IBM Thinkpad T61 - Oracle 9i (!!) install?

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_proquest.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 10:21:05 -0400

Hi Carmen,

Well, if you want Oracle to support it, then you can't run 9i on RHEL5. Since RHEL5 wasn't released till long after 9i was desupported, Oracle never tested this configuration. So, they're telling you do downgrade RHEL to RHEL4 to get to a stable, supported configuration for Oracle 9i.

So, if you want to be running supported Oracle configuration, you can either downgrade your O/S to RHEL4 or upgrade your database to 10g. Those are your only choices.

If you don't care so much about Oracle support for this database, you could just try installing 9i on RHEL5 and hope for the best. It may (or may not) work out of the box, depending on what's changed. Note that if you want to try it, when you run the installer, add the '-ignoreSysPrereqs' flag, or the installer will check the O/S version and stop the installation before it starts.

I've not tried installing 9i on RHEL5, so, I'm not sure how well it will work. You may run into library incompatabilities, etc.

Finally, if you really need to keep the laptop at EL5 and you want to run Oracle 9i on EL4, you could look at a dual-boot, or a virtualization solution, such as VMWare or Xen....

Hope that helps,

-Mark

--

Mark J. Bobak
Senior Database Administrator, System & Product Technologies ProQuest

ProQuest...Start here.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Carmen Rusu Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 10:00 AM To: Michael Elkin
Cc: Oracle-L Freelists
Subject: Re: Centos el5 on IBM Thinkpad T61 - Oracle 9i (!!) install?

Oracle Support is telling me I need to downgrade from Linux RedHat/Centos el5 to el4 in order to be able to install the only Oracle RDBMS 9i available for Linux x86_64bit which is the Thinkpad architecture.

I am constrained to 9i on LInux RedHat because the rman files I need to use to clone/duplicate the db are from a production server that's 9i & Linux RedHat (32bit).

Thank you very much for all your helpful suggestions!

Carmen Rusu

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 9:14 PM, Michael Elkin <melkin4u_at_gmail.com<mailto:melkin4u_at_gmail.com>> wrote: Oracle is looking for depreciated libs.

Please take look on:
metalink note#453705.1

the following discussions on the web may help

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=57681&topic_id=14678

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=323437

http://ivan.kartik.sk/oracle/install_ora10gR2_fedora.html

Michael

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 12:59 AM, Carmen Rusu <rusucarmen_at_gmail.com<mailto:rusucarmen_at_gmail.com>> wrote: The only hardware available is this Thinkpad T61 laptop x86_64 with Centos el5 on it.

I need to install Oracle 9i on it to rman - clone a production 9i at a point in time. The production db is the only server available and the only other hardware available for cloning is this laptop...

So far I am stuck with not being able to make the OUI start - it complains about a missing java shared objects:

/tmp/OraInstall.../jre/lib/i386/libawt.so: libXp.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

Anybody out there who was able to install Oracle RDBMS software on ThinkPad with Linux/RedHat/Centos?

Than you very much in advance!
Carmen Rusu
DBA
--