RE: Sun T5220/T5240/T6320 or other virtualization servers and Oracle 10gR2 RAC

From: Susan White <swhite_at_lifetouch.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 07:57:49 -0500

My discussion with Sun and Oracle regarding this topic turned up the following:

  • Neither containers nor LDOMS are certified for Oracle RAC at this point. There is an expectation that this will happen within the next 6 months.
  • If you use Solaris 10 containers, there will be a single copy of the kernel and the OS. This means that patches are applied to all containers at the same time.
  • LDOMS have multiple Solaris copies, but more latency.
  • Memory cannot be capped; only CPUs
  • Per the Sun rep: There is no compelling reason to use virtualization for Oracle since multiple Oracle instances play well with each other on a single box. Capping the CPU usage is the only resource advantage that I see. And possibly the ability to move a container, but RAC provides the HA capability.
  • It is not recommended to run any application other than Oracle on the box where Oracle is virtualized.
  • Oracle's virtualization strategy is RAC. See the Maximum Availability Architecture notes.
  • Verify that your ERP system is RAC -certified. Some aren't.

If you go ahead with this, I'd be interested in hearing about your experience.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Charles Schultz Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 9:04 PM To: Pradeep.Chetal_at_mformation.com
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Sun T5220/T5240/T6320 or other virtualization servers and Oracle 10gR2 RAC

We will be testing our ERP system (SungardHE Banner) on the 5240s - purely proof-of-concept, not as a precursor to a Production go-live or anything.

I will be interested what others have to say.

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 8:57 PM, Pradeep Chetal <Pradeep.Chetal_at_mformation.com> wrote:

We are looking at some Sun servers and virtualization with huge local disks to run Oracle 10gR2 RAC.

This is for internal use at first.

Has anyone else done this? Can you share your experience(s)?

Thanks,

  • Pradeep

Pradeep Chetal
Sr. Director - Infrastructure Architecture

Mformation Technologies Inc.
Switchboard: +1 732 692 6200

Visit

WWW.MFORMATION.COM and see how the MFORMATION SERVICE MANAGER can help you to transform your business

Charles Schultz