re: getting rid of archivelog copies

From: Newman, Christopher <cjnewman_at_uillinois.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 07:28:39 -0500

"From: Claudia Zeiler <czeiler_at_ecwise.com> Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 10:24:01 -0700
Subject: RE: getting rid of copies of archivelogs

I have retention configuredd to redundancy 1

What I am trying to get rid of is the 1 backup of the archivelog file. This one copy is on /d123, not in the original archive log destination. The original archive logs are delete by the command

 backup archivelog all not backed up delete all input format '/d123/backup/arch_%d_%u_%s';

It is the output of the above command (the files now on /d123) that I am now trying to get rid of before they devour my entire system, since they are no longer needed. They are not archivelog files, they are obsolete backups of archivelog files.

What I haven't found is something to the effect of

delete expired backup of archivelog all; that actually lists the files on /d123.

When I do it it tells me that channels were allocated, and then returns me to the rman prompt. Is that because I have the wrong command, or are these files outside of rman?"

Make sure your channels are pointing to the correct source. Ie, allocate channel tape1 type 'sbt_tape' or 'disk' .... Then you can execute your delete obsolete; delete expired commands over that channel.

**Also, if you don't specify channels in your run blocks, you might have a default channel configured that points either to disk or tape (the opposite of the location you are attempting to delete from). Do RMAN> show all; and see if that is your case.

-Chris