RE: getting rid of copies of archivelogs

From: Claudia Zeiler <czeiler_at_ecwise.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 10:24:01 -0700

I have retention configuredd to redundancy 1

What I am trying to get rid of is the 1 backup of the archivelog file. This one copy is on /d123, not in the original archive log destination. The original archive logs are delete by the command

 backup archivelog all not backed up delete all input format '/d123/backup/arch_%d_%u_%s';

It is the output of the above command (the files now on /d123) that I am now trying to get rid of before they devour my entire system, since they are no longer needed. They are not archivelog files, they are obsolete backups of archivelog files.

What I haven't found is something to the effect of

delete expired backup of archivelog all; that actually lists the files on /d123.

When I do it it tells me that channels were allocated, and then returns me to the rman prompt. Is that because I have the wrong command, or are these files outside of rman?

I apologize for being so unclear.
Claudia Zeiler
ECWise Database Administrator

From: David Barbour [david.barbour1_at_gmail.com] Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 9:24 AM To: Claudia Zeiler
Cc: Ray Stell; oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: getting rid of copies of archivelogs

So you've got two archive log destinations defined for your instance? The "standard" backup you're running deletes the logs from only one of the two locations?

"Copies" can have more than one meaning when you're dealing with RMAN.

Presuming you have two destinations defined, If you restore an archivelog file, where does it end up?

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Claudia Zeiler <czeiler_at_ecwise.com<mailto:czeiler_at_ecwise.com>> wrote: I need to clarify.

Since I delete the input when I backup the archive logs

 backup archivelog all not backed up delete all input format '/d123/backup/arch_%d_%u_%s';

the problem files are not archive logs, but copies of them. The archive logs have been deleted. These copies are copied off to tape each night, so I don't want them on disk the next day. I especially don't need them on disk a week or two later! All of my rman commands seem to address the original archive logs, not these copies of archive logs. That is why I am coming to wonder if the COPIES of the archivelogs on /d123 may not be rman files at all, and can be cleared out with a simple 'rm'? Of course, I have removed them with an 'rm', but I am worried that they still may be listed somehow in rman.

Thank you in advance to any clarification that you can give.

From: Ray Stell [stellr_at_cns.vt.edu<mailto:stellr_at_cns.vt.edu>] Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 5:25 AM To: David A. Barbour
Cc: Claudia Zeiler; oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: getting rid of copies of archivelogs

check CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY. I don't think the commands will bypass the policy.