RE: VKTM ? Anyone?

From: Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 18:58:40 +0800

Hi Marco,

If the xml loading process managed to use up all free memory in the system
(and eventually failed with ORA-4030) then other processes can't do further
allocations either. VKTM might have been the unlucky victim in this case.

I consider setting some sort of virtual memory limit with ulimit a good practice. I normally set it some 10x higher amount than I think the process ever needs (so that processes wouldn't fail due occasional spikes in memory usage), but rogue processes and memory leaks will not be able to eat up all memory.

On which OS, platform and version you are?

Linux kernel allows virtual memory overallocation ( if /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory > 0 ), but in that case it starts killing processes if it runs out of memory when processes start touching those allocated pages. If the memory overcommit is enabled, then again VKTM might have been unlucky victim again. Syslog should have some lines about it in such case i think...

Anyway, if the root cause for the issues wasn't memory overallocation but just VKTM crashing, there's a _disable_vktm parameter you can ask support about ;-)

--
Regards,
Tanel Poder

  _____