Re: ORION num_disks

From: LS Cheng <exriscer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 17:42:12 +0200

Hi

Four LUNs are created for ASM usage, due to HBA/SCSI queue depth which can limit concurrent request (such as lun-qeueu-depth in HBA configuration or sd_max_throttle in Solaris) to a single disk from OS view it has been proceeded to create 4 in order to avoid this situation. The other reason is not use huge size LUN for ASM so when more space is requiered you dont have to add another huge LUN.

I dont understand very well what is Orion user guide suggesting, it simply states:

num_disks ==> number of physical disks

Since we are in a virtualized environment I am not sure if it really means the number of physical disks from SAN view or logical disks from OS View that is why my post :-)

The fact is I have tested with 8 and 4 disks for this argument but see no differences in the results so I am not sure how is this argument used internally in Orion and wonder if anyone know if this argument makes any difference at all.

TIA

--
LSC