Re: SQL programming fundamentals

From: Jared Still <>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 08:29:03 -0700

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 7:46 AM, Hemant K Chitale <>wrote:

> Some understanding that tables can be viewed as sets and SQL operations
> work on "sets" of data instead of the "row-by-row" approach of procedural
> methods is quite desirable. I've seen people floundering when they can't
> differentiate between the two.

That's the reply I was looking for.

It's more fundamental than understanding relational theory.

Getting past the hurtle of thinking in a row-by-row context ( slow-by-slow ala Tom Kyte) is probably the hardest concept for procedural programmers to master.

Once you can think in terms of sets rather than rows, it all becomes much clearer.

Jared Still