RE: startup takes long time on 10gR2.

From: <jeremiah_at_ora-600.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 07:55:18 PDT

On Fri Sep 12 6:05 , "Johnson, William L (TEIS)" sent:

> How many data files are in the database?
>
> Hameed, Amir wrote:
>
> you may find that the process starting the database is waiting on "shmat" call.

That happens at startup nomount time. The original poster said that step is fast.

There certainly is no shortage of interesting guesses. Now why don't we look at the wait events and alert log during that 10 minute open phase to discover the actual cause.

The wait event views become available in nomount mode. From another SYSDBA session during the open phase, examine v$system_event and v$session_event' largest values for time_waited for the starting-up SYSDBA shadow process.

Regards,

Jeremiah Wilton
ORA-600 Consulting
http://www.ora-600.net