RE: Using hints- most commonly used?

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 09:48:39 -0700

I don't understand this approach of dividing hints into most/least frequently used. It seems to me the use of hint would probably come from a specific need, as identified by an explain plan on a query that just will not run efficiently regardless of highly accurate system, table, index and histogram statistics. In this case, you'll need a specific hint to do the right job for the situation, regardless of whether or not it is frequently used by yourself or others. Also, I would disagree that the index hints are "quite rarely used". In my experience, they have actually been the most frequently used. For example, the Baan ERP application sends an index hint with about 90% of its queries. Why not just refer to the documentation:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14211/hintsref. htm

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/sql_eleme nts006.htm

-which brings up another important point - hints differ between Oracle
versions, so you have to take that into account too.

Regards,
Brandon

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Sep 09 2008 - 11:48:39 CDT