Windows 2003 + Cluster + Oracle Failsafe

From: <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 10:07:56 -0500

I'm going through a tutorial on Oracle FailSafe and clustering and I've noticed a couple of things that have me confused.

1.) I have 1 group currently (testing purposes) called "Cluster Group" that contains the Cluster IP Address, Cluster Name, Oracle Services for MSCS, quorum disk, and physical disks. Apparently I CANNOT add a database to this group (it appears to be disallowed)?

So, I add another group which will allow me to add a database. However, this new group needs a virtual host name and ip address. So it appears that I need 1 virtual address for the cluster itself, and another virtual address for any other group? How do I add useable virtual hosts/addresses? I assume this is done at the DNS server level? Or can I do this throught the Microsoft Cluster Administrator by selecting "Configure Application" -> "Create a new virtual server"?

2.) Since each new group needs a virtual address (and not the cluster address itself), we'll have to use any new virtual addresses in our tnsnames files (instead of the cluster address)? Does that sound right?

Chris Taylor
Sr. Oracle DBA
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205