RE: Measuring the impact of Redo Log change

From: Roberts, David (GSD - UK) <david.h.roberts_at_logica.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 09:47:03 +0100

While the following SQL isn't going to be able to tell you anything about the performance of the application you are running, it may give an indication of increased stability, and depending on the size of your control file may give you data from both before and after the change for you to compare.

One of the problems I have encountered is when redo logs are all on a single disk device, there will be contention between the archive log process and the log writer, which will be seen in an increasing amount of time taken to archive logs (I'm assuming you're in archive log mode) when the system is under duress.

SELECT recid,

       To_Char( next_time, 'YYYY-MON-DD HH24:MI:SS' ),

       (completion_time - next_time) * ( 24 * 60 * 60 ) "Seconds to archive"

  FROM v$archived_log

 ORDER BY recid

If the peek or average time to archive logs has dropped, it would be possible to argue that you have increased the theoretical throughput!

Obviously if you had the opportunity, placing redo log groups on alternating physical devices would obviously be a better way to reduce this form of contention!

Dave

David Roberts

Logica - Releasing your potential

www.logica.com

Logica UK Limited
Registered in England and Wales (registered number 947968) Registered office: Stephenson House, 75 Hampstead Road, London NW1 2PL, United Kingdom