Re: TIDE, Railhead, and Oracle (waaaay ot)

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 22:16:27 +0100

Just to be clear, the UK proposal is different in that it involves storing the biometrics in at least one central govt database. We already have a non-optional DNA database for those the police decide to pick up. I agree that validating cards presented by travellers against the biometrics of those travellers raises the bar of fraudulent travel, though not I guess for long. I rather suspect though that each of us if presented with an authentication scheme for our core databases that involved validating one set of credentials presented by a client against another set of credentials presented by the same client would be sceptical. So for me the benefits from schemes like this are in convenience and speed, rather than security. I might well trade that for a card that I carry, I won't for a central database - or 'the record on file' as it was described earlier.

And yes I've worked on govt databases, though I guess I've just ruled out a future job opportunity here, and no they aren't bullet-proof, neither of course are the banks, and the major IT consultancies seem to be engaged on a spate of losing data, and not admitting it, right now.

And to be further clear :( I know I'm presenting the anti case against something that isn't proposed anywhere other than the UK, It does seem to me to be a balancing act, and technology is only a part of it. Whom do you trust and is everyone you need to trust included, is the bigger question. One or more central govt databases that store useful and valuable biometric data about citizens (and maybe are shared across borders - give that till say 2015) will have real benefits, I just don't believe the risk is worth it, and wouldn't start with airport inconvenience, but then I'm British and like queueing....

Niall

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA