Q: Standaby creation process - need help

From: Amihay Gonen <Amihay.Gonen_at_ecitele.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 19:12:37 +0300

Hi all ,
I've been assigned mission to develop a script which create standby db from primary .

I've seen this link http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14239/rcmbackp.htm#i636427 , which suggest to use RMAN with duplicate command.

It's seems to be the most simple way . is anyone has expernice with that ?

Anyhow , in oracle documentation it seems that the standby db has to have a different name . This doesn't make senesce to me , because this will required different connect string on the client side (after switchover) , I guess I'm missing something here ?

For example if I can't set log_archive_config to use the one name

SQL> alter system set log_archive_config='DG_CONFIG=(ora10)'; alter system set log_archive_config='DG_CONFIG=(ora10)' *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-32017: failure in updating SPFILE
ORA-16187: LOG_ARCHIVE_CONFIG contains duplicate, conflicting or invalid attributes

thanks

Amihay Gonen,
DBA
amihay.gonen_at_ecitele.com<mailto:amihay.gonen_at_ecitele.com>