Primary gets ora-16009 when attempting a heartbeat with standby

From: Charles Schultz <sacrophyte_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 08:29:26 -0500

Good day, list,

Curious if anyone had seen anything like this. Working with OSEE 10.2.0.2, Primary and physical Standby are both on Solaris 10. Several months ago we did a switchover twice (switchover to standby site, then switch back to original configuration). A couple weeks ago was the first time we bounced the standby since the switchover event; directly after that, the primary spawned ora-16009 errors:
Errors in file /u01/app/oracle/admin/PRODDB/udump/proddb_rfs_19865.trc: ORA-16009: remote archive log destination must be a STANDBY database Mon Sep 8 08:04:35 2008
Errors in file /u01/app/oracle/admin/PRODDB/bdump/proddb_arc1_7783.trc: ORA-16009: remote archive log destination must be a STANDBY database Mon Sep 8 08:04:35 2008
PING[ARC1]: Heartbeat failed to connect to standby 'PRODSTBY'. Error is 16009.

Text from the RFS trace:
RFS[1335]: Not using real application clusters ORA-16009: remote archive log destination must be a STANDBY database

Interestingly, the ARC trace does not exist.

The strange part is that I can change the tns aliast for the standby service and work around the problem; even though both tns aliases point to the same service name, one works and one does not. It seems like the primary has cached one alias and associated an error with it for some reason.

I have searched Google and have not found much that is helpful. I have had an SR open with Oracle for over a week, but they have been stumped. Anyone else? At this point, I am extremely curious why that alias causes a problem, and how to prevent this in the future.

--

Charles Schultz

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Mon Sep 08 2008 - 08:29:26 CDT