Re: Tracking down NOLOGGING objects

From: Mark Brinsmead <>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 19:07:49 -0600

You are absolutely correct. What can I say? So many of my databases have physical standbys that I pretty much never even *consider* performing non-logged operations. Combining that with advancing age, and perhaps it should not be completely surprising that I don't always maintain accurate memory of where I can and cannot specify NOLOGGING. :-)

The ALTER INDEX ... REBUILD NOLOGGING example is -- of course -- a much better illustration of what I was thinking of. Not least of all because it happens to be correct. :-)

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 9:17 PM, Bobak, Mark <> wrote:

> Hi Mark,
> While there are other commands that can change logging mode for an object,
> INSERT /*+ APPEND */ is not one.
> The APPEND hint will enable direct path insert. If nologging is set on the
> table, then redo writes are (mostly) avoided,
> in addition to the avoidance of undo writes. However, something like
> "INSERT /*+ APPEND */ my_table nologging" will
> not alter the logging mode of my_table to nologging. Instead, you get a
> table alias, "nologging", for my_table.
> Other commands, however, such as:
> alter index .... rebuild nologging;
> create table my_table nologging as select * from my_other_table;
> (and there are others, mostly all the DDL command forms)
> will all create the object as nologging, or alter the object from logging
> to nologging.
> Hope that helps,
> -Mark

-- Mark Brinsmead