Re: Regarding Partitioning (Import A perticular Partition)

From: <TESTAJ3_at_nationwide.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 09:03:49 -0400

if you have a default partition, you must do partition split you can't do an add. same if you're adding any partitions in the middle of 2 existing partitions, you have to split also.

as an alternative, can you just export, truncate at the partition level, import to prove the exp worked and truncate the partitions again and just leave them out there empty? Unless you got some huge initial extent(or tablespace default set high), it shouldn't take up that much space.

joe

Phineas says, "Where's Perry?"

"Desai, Bhavik \(MLITS\)" <Bhavik_Desai_at_ml.com>

09/04/2008 08:59 AM
Please respond to Bhavik_Desai_at_ml.com

From
"Desai, Bhavik \(MLITS\)" <Bhavik_Desai_at_ml.com>
<oracle-l_at_freelists.org>
cc

Subject
Regarding Partitioning (Import A perticular Partition)

Hi All,
I am asked to export a partition table containing 2000 to 2008 yr partitions (12 partitions-monthly). With DEFAULT partition. (9999) Once export backup is created, I need to drop 2007 (12) partitions. Once dropped, I need to import only 2007 partitions (12) {to check restore operation}
I tried it and got following issues
1. Before importing partitions, I need to manually create 2007 partitions (ddl)
2. If DEFAULT partition exists, then It will not allow me to create 2007 partitions. Hence I need to drop DEFAULT partition as well.

3.      Then do the import (2007 partitions)
4.      And finally import 2007 partitions.
I don’t like this approach as , extracting ddls for all 2007 partitions + dropping default + import + add default seems very time cosuming. Is there any alternative to this?
Intention is to :
1.      Reclaim space by dropping all 2007 partitions
2.      Have adequate backup of 2007 partitions that can be used to
restore if anything goes wrong.

Regards,
Bhavik A.Desai

This message w/attachments (message) may be privileged, confidential or proprietary, and if you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender, do not use or share it and delete it. Unless specifically indicated, this message is not an offer to sell or a solicitation of any investment products or other financial product or service, an official confirmation of any transaction, or an official statement of Merrill Lynch. Subject to applicable law, Merrill Lynch may monitor, review and retain e-communications (EC) traveling through its networks/systems. The laws of the country of each sender/recipient may impact the handling of EC, and EC may be archived, supervised and produced in countries other than the country in which you are located. This message cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free. This message is subject to terms available at the following link: http://www.ml.com/e-communications_terms/ . By messaging with Merrill Lynch you consent to the foregoing.