Re: Accuracy with computing UTM from decimal degrees

From: Bill Ferguson <wbfergus_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 08:32:28 -0600

For anybody that was may have been interested in this, I finally have it figured out now.

First, other users on the Oracle OTN Forums running 10.2.0.3 noticed that there is a fairly obvoius error in the MDSYS.CS_CRS view, where there are two cs_names entries with "NAD 27 / UTM zone 17N". They have the SRID's of 2032614 and 2032617. The SRID 2032614 should actually have the cs_name of "NAD 27 / UTM zone 14N". If anybody else is running 10.2.0.3 and using Spatial for anything with with UTM's, you may want to check to see if this may be a problem on your machine.

Next, my code wound up having a design flaw, which I'll freely admit to. My routine to do the actual conversion was using the 8307 SRID as a default (which is the WGS 84 datum), when in many cases the datums could be different. So, I needed to add another CASE statement into the code to determine both the 'to' and 'from' coordinate systems, and now things work fine.