RE: How do you conduct technical interviews ?

From: <Jay.Miller_at_tdameritrade.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 12:22:33 -0400

Just got around to reading through this thread.

I'll reluctantly :) part with my favorite interview question:

You're sitting at your desk and the Help Desk calls you to say "Oracle is slow. Can you take a look at it?"
What do you do?

This encompasses a whole range of areas - gathering information about the problem (what database or application, what user called, is anyone else experiencing the problem, what were they doing), all the different possible places to look to identify the cause (anything from top to a 10046 trace), how to research non-obvious issues (metalink, etc.). I'll prompt along the way, if they say x, what might be your next step? It also gives an idea of how doggedly they'll pursue a problem, if they'll think of saying that they'll check with other DBAs to see if the problem has occurred before, etc.. It provides scope for a lot of followup questions (e.g., how do you interpret the results of a trace).

And yes, I have gotten that call with pretty much exactly that wording.

And I agree that starting out with a couple of softballs so they can calm down and you can weed out the really ignorant ones is a good idea.

Jay Miller