"accidentally" solved : Fwd: "Unable to connect to Cluster Manager" from the RDBMS O_H

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 15:30:44 +0800

Gus, Rajeev, Ravi, Oracle-L,

My apologies for not reverting with how I [accidentally ?] "solved" this.

I had tried re-registering the Oracle_Homes (ASM and RDBMS in different sequences) in the shared inventory [detachHome.sh, attachHome.sh] , reinstalling them, rerunning localconfig from both homes etc.

I then kept the issue aside for a few weeks, and ....

I finally deleted my central inventory, re-registered my RDBMS Home, installed the ASM Home and was up and running again after that.

Along the way, while testing "localconfig", here is something I'd noted : [both the Homes are patched to 10.2.0.4] :

My RDBMS home is /oracle_fs/ora10204/product/10.2.0.4, owned by "ora10204:dba"

My ASM home is /home/oracleasm/product/10.2.0/asm, owned by "oracleasm:dba"

If I run localconfig from the ASM home, CSS starts up properly but the RDBMS account cannot see it.

If I run "localconfig reset /home/oracleasm/product/10.2.0/asm" from the RDBMS home,

  1. The ASM Home/data/local.ocr ownership gets chowned to "ora10204:ora10204" (not "ora10204:dba" !)
  2. The ASM Home log and all files below it gets chowned to "ora10204:ora10204"
  3. CSS fails to startup

After that I if chown all the files back to "oracleasm:dba", CSS does startup, but again "ora10204" cannot see it !

Also, localconfig has a hard-coded "CSS_ORACLE_OWNER=" with the "CSS_ORACLE_HOME=" while
/etc/init.d/init.ccsd has "ORACLE_USER=", "ORA_CRS_HOME=" and "ORACLE_HOME=$ORA_CRS_HOME"
variables.
I can see how "CSS_ORACLE_OWNER" changed oracleasm files to ora10204 but haven't bothered to see how
the group got changed from "dba" to "ora10204" !!

Anyway, deleting the inventory and re-registering the RDBMS Home (using attachHome.sh) and then installing ASM did "solve" it. I do not know how !

In the end, I don't have a "solution" in the proper sense of the term.

I know have an ASM environment (actually running on filesystem using Jeff Hunter's notes on idevelopment.info http://www.idevelopment.info/cgi/ORACLE_dba_tips.cgi#Automatic_Storage_Management ) to test ASM co-existing with extfs3 on Linux.

Hemant K Chitale