Re: Oracle on Solaris x-86 64 bit

From: Sylvester, Peter A. <peters_at_mitre.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 09:08:05 -0400

I would evaluate what other third party products (backup, etc) you might need to run and what level of support they have for Solaris X86-64. From my experience it seems to have poor support from many vendors. We went through a similar path on a particular installation, and ended up running RHEL on the box, which has much better support, both from Oracle and others. Both environments had similar performance and availability, but the support was key. Linux also has much better integration with Windows systems (ability to mount CIFS shares etc) which was key for our application as well.

--Peter

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Aug 28 2008 - 08:08:05 CDT

Original text of this message