Insert into remote table from Read only database

From: Debaditya Chatterjee <debaditya.chatterjee_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:08:35 -0400

Hi,

We have a situation where we would need to insert into a remote table from a read only database via a database link.

My initial testing suggests that this is not possible as any distributed transaction is marked as read-write and even a select using the db link from the read only database fails with ORA-16000. The workaround is to explicitly set the transaction as read only. With the transaction set to read-only the select works but we cannot run the insert as it fails with ORA-01456: may not perform insert/delete/update operation inside a READ ONLY transaction.

I was wondering if there is a particular way or known workaround to insert into a remote table from a read-only database using a db link.

Thanks
Deba.