Re: 11.1.0.6 install on Solaris SPARC 64bit SunOS 5.10

From: Tony Sequeira <tony_at_sequeira.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 15:05:13 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, August 27, 2008 14:43, Peter McLarty wrote:
> Hi Tony

Hi Peter

[...]

> Firstly for your 8i databases as Oracle dropped support a while back,
> you really have to cross your fingers and pray, one out there might be
> the new feature in containers of running solaris 2.9 in the container to
> keep that one safe.

Yes, I raised an SR, and the word 'Certified' was stressed, however, the engineer has no reports on any problems with this combination. The recommendation is to use the latest available Sun patches, as long as they include the patches recommended by Oracle.

> As for anything in current support and 9 is barely it has about 18
> months to go before falling off sustaining support I think, Oracle will
> still support that on Sol 10 ok, I would get it also to 10 ir 11 ASAP.

The databases are for legacy app support, and require freezing at the current level, all except for the 10gR2 installation.

[...]

> Using the latest rolled up patches and bringing the server up to that
> point, I think the latest build for Solaris 10 is 5/08 which we are
> using for app server, is fine. Oracle has either released a patch or
> will soon enough if you encounter something. We have had no issues
> installing a test database 10.2.0.4. mucking around on one those test
> hosts, it installed fine and showed no issues.

Is this (rolled up patch) what Sun's patching FAQ calls a "Marketing Release"? If not what does Sun call it, and where can I find it?

> HTH
It does, knowing I'm not alone. By the way, I planned for this several weeks ago, based on what were the then latest Sun patches, I now find that it has changed... :( I'll have to schedule a couple or 3 days in a row, so I can get the patching done.

> Cheers
>
> Peter

Regards.
[...]