Re: 11.1.0.6 install on Solaris SPARC 64bit SunOS 5.10

From: Peter McLarty <peter.mclarty_at_pacificdbms.com.au>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 23:43:56 +1000

Hi Tony
I am working ona site which is Solaris Oracle and I work in the assurance team, so we have the job of keeping all this sort of stuff together.
Firstly for your 8i databases as Oracle dropped support a while back, you really have to cross your fingers and pray, one out there might be the new feature in containers of running solaris 2.9 in the container to keep that one safe.

As for anything in current support and 9 is barely it has about 18 months to go before falling off sustaining support I think, Oracle will still support that on Sol 10 ok, I would get it also to 10 ir 11 ASAP.

As for what happens to 10 well it is under full support so if using a later bundle introduces any bugs, well that is with the gods, you would simply need to get Oracle support and possibly sun support to help you get a fix.

Using the latest rolled up patches and bringing the server up to that point, I think the latest build for Solaris 10 is 5/08 which we are using for app server, is fine. Oracle has either released a patch or will soon enough if you encounter something. We have had no issues installing a test database 10.2.0.4. mucking around on one those test hosts, it installed fine and showed no issues.

HTH Cheers

Peter