Re: Archiver error without archive log mode

From: Maureen English <sxmte_at_email.alaska.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 08:56:11 -0800

I think that the messages in your alert log are perfectly normal, information only, messages reported by Oracle for a database that is not in archivelog mode. They look just like all of ours where we have some of the log_archive... parameters set, but the database is not in archivelog mode.

On the other hand, our production database that *is* in archivelog mode has the following messages in the alert log upon shutdown:

> Fri Aug 22 20:47:35 2008
> Shutting down archive processes
> Archiving is disabled
> Fri Aug 22 20:47:40 2008
> ARCH shutting down
> ARC1: Archival stopped
> Fri Aug 22 20:47:45 2008
> ARCH shutting down
> ARC0: Archival stopped
> Fri Aug 22 20:47:47 2008
> Thread 1 closed at log sequence 47531
> Successful close of redo thread 1
> Fri Aug 22 20:47:49 2008
> Completed: ALTER DATABASE CLOSE NORMAL

Note the 2 lines that start with ARC1: and ARC0:.

Upon startup, the following messages appear in the alert log showing that the archive processes are really starting up:

> ALTER DATABASE OPEN
> Fri Aug 22 20:57:46 2008
> LGWR: STARTING ARCH PROCESSES
> ARC0 started with pid=2, OS id=1587971