Re: 1 DBA in a company

From: Nuno Souto <>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 21:22:42 +1000

Rob Dempsey wrote,on my timestamp of 22/08/2008 9:10 PM:
> I have read a few times that some guys are the only dba in a company.

I was that, two jobs ago...

> What happens when you are sick / go on holiday?

You don't, period. Any questions on why I left?...

> Who would recover the databases in such scenario arose?

In the current job, we have a company that provides a backup dba service for us. If one of us is away for any significant period that puts a stress on the remaining, we get another person to help.
So far, 20 days average per year for the entire team.

Nuno Souto
in rainy Sydney, Australia