Oracle Data Masking

From: LeRoy Kemnitz <lkemnitz_at_uwsa.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:46:48 -0500

I have been approached by my Security Officer about implementing the Oracle Data Masking pack. This pack will detect sensitive information in the database and actually change the data. For example - The docs say that the process drops the orig table and recreates it with unique numbers instead of an ssn. The orig table data is lost. Best used when transferring data from production server to development environment where security is less strict - supposedly.

Does anybody use it? If so, then would you share your good/bad/ugly stories about the use?

Thanks.

--

LeRoy Kemnitz
UW System Administration