Re: Becoming a user - 10g issue

From: Yong Huang <>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 13:54:09 -0700 (PDT)

What I usually do to create a private DB link or stop or start another user's DBMS job, is to create a temporary procedure in that schema:

conn system
create or replace procedure yhuang.p as
 execute immediate 'create database link remotedb  connect to remoteuser identified by thepassword using ''remotedb'''; end;
exec yhuang.p
drop procedure yhuang.p;

The advantage is you don't change that user's password even for a subsecond. So there's no risk in that respect.

I wish Oracle would support "create database link theuser.linkname...", or give us a general method as Windows's "Run as" functionality.

Yong Huang