Archiver error without archive log mode

From: Martin Klier <>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 18:29:22 +0200

Dear list,

A question - maybe I am just silly, but I can't explain how that comes: One of my 10gR2 Databases is in NORACHIVELOG mode. (v$database log_mode is NOARCHIVELOG).

If I force a logswitch with "alter system switch logfile;" I'll get this alert log entry (without any ORA- error): Thread 1 cannot allocate new log, sequence <something>"

This alone would be quite "funny", but tonight there have been jobs refusing to start with "ORA-0257 archiver error. Connect internal only, until freed.”

Why is there an archiver process without archive log mode, and why is it blocking my transactions?

Something you should know: The ASM disk group used by the database is 95% full, but there have been no errors with extending tablespaces or something like that.

Any advice is greatly appreciated - thanks in advance! Martin Klier

Usn's IT Blog for Linux, Oracle, Asterisk