Re: "All triggers are evil",..., really?

From: Bill Ferguson <>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 06:29:16 -0600

My system relies heavily on instead_of triggers.

One of the requirements during initial design was that I had to allow for ODBC connectsions to my database, so users could access the data with ARC. Since if I allow ODBC, that opens up tremendously what other kinds of apps could access my database as well. Also, since I have little to no control over what all of the different PC's are running, I built most of the logic into the triggers. This was the only way I could see having all of the business logic accessible to everything, no matter what application (ARC, Access, Filemaker, etc.) was used to access and modify the data.