Re: How do you conduct technical interviews ?

From: Peter Hitchman <pjhoraclel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 16:50:15 +0100

Another perspective:
How do you know you are not going to get someone who, given the right access, is not going to jump right in when in fact they should be waiting for someone else (like a sysadmin). I been working where I am now for so long that mostly I have root/sudo su access on all the machines that I touch and sometimes I need someone else to check me and suggest that I go and talk to the sysadmin people. It is of course all about balance.

Cheers

Pete

P.S. One of the senior sysadmins likes to play the theme tune from the Lone Ranger when someone (especially his boss) jumps on to a machine to fix something and stuffs it up.

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 4:21 PM, Dan Norris <dannorris_at_dannorris.com> wrote:

> Sorry for the late reply, but I just got back from a week off and thought
> I'd add my 2 pesos (they were left over).
>
> As I wrote my reply, some of my thoughts were related, others were
> straying, so I elected to blog it instead. It's at
> http://www.dannorris.com/2008/08/18/when-i-conduct-an-interview/ if you
> care to read. Feel free to comment there if you like.
>
> Dan
>
> Gints Plivna wrote:
>
>> Mhmm, the original question wasn't about just TECHNICALLY SKILLED
>> person. Question were how to find right kind of personality. For
>> example:
>>
>> What circumstance brings you here today?
>>
>> Ok one can formulate this question in whatever way but would you like
>> to hire a DBA (or whatever other position) just looking for a job with
>> some $$ more than previous work, without any other motivation?
>>
>> What was a major obstacle you were able to overcome in the past year?
>>
>> OK it is possible to formulate this question just in a bit different
>> way and ask what was the major problem in his dba life last year.
>>
>> Tell me about two memorable projects, one success and one failure. To
>> what do you attribute the success and failure?
>>
>> <snip>

Regards

Pete