Re: ASM - Active Passive role

From: Dan Norris <>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 09:18:17 -0500

Have you determined if using ASM in active/active mode (clustered ASM)
requires special licensing (like a RAC license, for example)? The
licensing information I've read isn't clear on this topic.

John Thompson wrote:
We're prototyping both a Standard Edition and Enterprise Edition cluster at the moment using ASM in active/passive and active/active/passive.  Using 11g CRS and ASM and so far it's passed my expectations.

On 8/14/08, Stalin <> wrote:
Hi All,

Anyone using ASM/clusterware on single databases in a active-passive
configuration. Most of our medium sized customer installations are
single databases in active-passive configuration using sun cluster
data services for automatic fail over. Wondering if we anyone using
ASM in this configuration successfully without the sun cluster part. I
believe you would still need sun cluster for multipathing as ASM
doesn't support it yet.

Appreciate your inputs.