Re: WE8ISO8859P1 and UTF8

From: jason arneil <jason.arneil_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 12:38:11 +0100

When start having the ability to store characters that are stored in multiple bytes and say you have a definition of a column with for example varchar2(10) previoiusly you could store 10 characters guaranteed.

You no longer have that guarantee with the multi-byte characterset. While your application is convinced you have sent the database only 10 characters the database may reject the data as being too wide for the column if the data contains the multi-byte characters.

I have seen this behaviour numerous times.

When we went from single-byte to multi-byte we have just changed the columns affected on an ad-hoc basis as needed.

The other option is to make the application count bytes to ensure the data fired at the database is going to fit.

jason.

--
http://jarneil.wordpress.com