Re: Backup opinions

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 00:16:17 +1000

Randy Julien wrote,on my timestamp of 14/08/2008 11:15 PM:
> Nuno-- I use 10gR2 on 40 databases and have recently transitioned away
> from a netbackup tape-only configuration to using the FRA with image
> copies. While both work, the image copy on disk is far faster than
> reconstructed backupsets from tape. I can do full/partial recoveries
> and database duplications with either method, no problem, and with the
> BACKUP RECOVERY AREA command, get my tape backups in conjunction with my
> FRA backup to achieve my retention policy.
>
> I strongly recommend using the FRA, and allowing Oracle to write your
> saves in OMF format as a primary save method, then use netbackup to tape
> save the changed FRA files. With OMF files and a reasonable disk
> allocation, Oracle will automatically managed your saves and remove the
> obsolete FRA files. Also the "switch" command is particularly handy for
> using your FRA image save in place of damaged production files.

Thanks, much appreciated.
I was under the mis-understanding Netbackup agent would apply compression and therefore possibly run with similar speed to creating a compressed FRA. Is that not the case?

I like the approach of using BACKUP RECOVERY AREA to tape via Netbackup, though: best of both worlds. Need to re-visit my disk capacity plans for disk image backups, though...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto