Re: How do you conduct technical interviews ?

From: Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:10:34 -0400

I actually don't like the tom kyte question. Does anyone else like this one ?

"

I can remember Tom Kyte let the people explain what is inside the instance. What is SGA, which oracle processes do we have and what is their task. It's the same kind of question. Let the technical people try to explain some technical stuff. They often cannot. "

it is too much memorization. I see no reason to make someone memorize every background process (which is what Tom wants when he mentions it). I think general understanding of a database and an instance and how oracle works is more important. I have trouble keeping track of the difference between the SMON and the PMON myself and don't bother to keep that in my head.