Re: changing archivelog mode in 10g

From: Maureen English <sxmte_at_email.alaska.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 14:46:40 -0800

Maybe it's me who missed something. The 10g SQL Reference shows the alter system command to have an archive_log_clause. One option for the syntax of this clause is 'archive log stop', making the command 'alter system archive log stop'.

The description of the stop clause, however, says:

> STOP Clause
> In earlier releases, this clause disabled automatic archiving of redo log file groups for
> the thread assigned to your instance. This clause has been deprecated. It has no effect,
> and if you specify it, Oracle Database writes a message to the alert log.

Doesn't that mean the same thing as turning off archiving - or is that word 'automatic' what's got me confused?
We never did this with a 9i database, but a user was loading so much data into one of our 10g databases today that we kept running out of space for archive logs. It would have been nice to be able to turn off archive logging without shutting down the database.

  • Maureen