Re: changing archivelog mode in 10g

From: Bradd Piontek <piontekdd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 14:39:15 -0500

Maybe I'm missing something. I thought all 'alter system archive log stop' did was stop the archiver processes. This didn't turn off archiving for the database. That has to be done in MOUNT mode. I believe the reason it isn't used anymore, is that log_archive_start has been deprecated (the archiver processes are automatically stopped/started when needed). My assumption was that they did this since log_archive_start had a tendency of being missed by dba's when enabling archivelog mode.
I could be mistaken.

Bradd Piontek
Oracle Blog: http://piontekdd.blogspot.com Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/in/piontekdd