Re: Database Migration and Upgrade across Servers ( from Solaris to HP)

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 09:59:27 -0700

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 11:12 AM, Niall Litchfield < niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> firstly I ought to say that I agree entirely with Jeremiah. In fact
> I'd go further and suggest that dbua be your first port of call ahead
> of any manual method. dbua will be aware of things you aren't and does
> do sensible checks and reminders that dbas can miss.

I will second that.

There was a time when I considered the manual method the 'manly' method of upgrading.

"Real DBA's use the manual method for complete control".

I have not thought that way for some time now, as DBUA does a great job, and enables me to spend less time on a less than pleasant task.

In fact if you are upgrading an SAP database from 9.x to 10.x, SAP has a modified version of DBUA, which was the only method we could use to reliable upgrade a windows database from 9.2.0.8 32 windows to 10.2.0.2 64 bit windows.

Believe me, we tried other methods.

--
Jared Still