RE: 12G Desupport for Raw Devices

From: Yavor Ivanov <Yavor_Ivanov_at_stemo.bg>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 11:39:01 +0300

        We all know RBO is desupported in 10g. However, in 11g I still see recursive queries caused by the CBO itself, which have the /*+rule*/ hint.
        I would bet 2 cents (even euro-cents) that at least OCR and voting disks will still be possible on raw on 12g. I think there should be at least one version with the possibility for OCR/Vote disk on ASM before this becomes common. To put OCR/Vote on ASM we need ASM up and running before OCR. Then ASM will need some other mechanism for working in clustered mode - something like OCFS' basic clustering functionality.
        The other possibility is that 11gR2 will give us OCFS on all platforms, and in the time 12G comes out, OCFS will be stable enough on AIX/UX/Solaris.

        In the other hand, support for raw devices has been deprecated in the Linux 2.6 kernel and the raw interface is hard to configure (but still possible) in RHEL5 (note 465001.1). Maybe this is what we are talking about?

Regards,
Yavor Ivanov
Oracle Certified Master