RE: 12G Desupport for Raw Devices

From: Vladimir Barac <vbarac_at_Alghanim.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 09:08:31 +0300

Block devices are supported from 10.2.0.2 - at least in Linux.

We have 10.2.0.4 on ASM with block devices - works without any problem so far.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org on behalf of Bobak, Mark Sent: Fri 8/8/2008 6:55 PM
To: Bobak, Mark; greg_at_structureddata.org; ORACLE-L Freelists Subject: RE: 12G Desupport for Raw Devices

And I forgot the second part of my posting.....so, as people move from RAW to ASM, they're still going to use RAW volumes to allocate storage to ASM, right? Seems to me it would be pretty silly to put filesystems on all your storage, just so you can hand it over to ASM.

So, seems to me, Oracle will still deal w/ raw, albeit perhaps only through the ASM path....?

-Mark

--

Mark J. Bobak
Senior Database Administrator, System & Product Technologies ProQuest

ProQuest...Start here.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Greg Rahn Sent: Friday, August 08, 2008 5:14 AM
To: ORACLE-L Freelists
Subject: Re: 12G Desupport for Raw Devices

Generally before something is deprecated, an alternative is introduced. My guess is that 11gR2 will provide something.

Do many people use raw devices for data files? e.g. data file is actually a raw volume
Most of the customers that I have worked with have moved from raw to ASM.

--

Regards,
Greg Rahn

This email has been scanned by the External Email Security System.

This e-mail message and any attachments to it are for the sole use of the intended recipients and may contain confidential and privileged information. This e-mail message and any attachments are the property of Yusuf A. Alghanim & Sons w.l.l. or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates (“Alghanim Industries”). Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution of this e-mail message or its attachments is prohibited. Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Alghanim Industries. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message and any attachments.

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Sat Aug 09 2008 - 01:08:31 CDT

Original text of this message