RE: connecting Oracle to SQL Server

From: kathy duret <katpopins21_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 15:00:31 -0700 (PDT)

There are some free drivers available TDS is one I believe for Linux.

Data direct will give you a 15 day trial then you have to cough up the $$ I didn't have any issues with the TDS driver for 32 bit in the past.

HS works fairly well depending what you want to do.

If you are on 64 bit you need to use dg4odbc for HS and that works with 10g upward. For 10G you need to install the 11G gateway.

You might want to play with DTS from the Sql Server side of things as well.  I haven't used it but we do use it at work and it works very well.

From: Powell, Mark D <mark.powell_at_eds.com> Subject: RE: connecting Oracle to SQL Server To: "Jeffrey Beckstrom" <JBECKSTROM_at_gcrta.org> Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Date: Friday, August 8, 2008, 2:15 PM

The gateway product costs extra.

HS or generic connectivity requires the use of an ODBC driver for the database server platform designed to access SQL Server.  The only platform I believe that comes with such a driver is Windows so extra cost is probably required unless you are capable of writing your own ODBC program.

On the other hand the Oracle client for Windows is free and MS on 32 bit systems provides ODBC/OLE drivers to Oracle.  For 64 bit Windows you need the Oracle 64 bit OLE driver.  Pushing and pulling from the SQL Server side is free.

-- Mark D Powell --
Phone (313) 592-5148

From: Jeffrey Beckstrom [mailto:JBECKSTROM_at_gcrta.org] Sent: Friday, August 08, 2008 3:01 PM
To: Powell, Mark D
Subject: RE: connecting Oracle to SQL Server

Are they extra costs options?

>>> "Powell, Mark D" <mark.powell_at_eds.com> 8/8/08 2:48 PM >>>

Look into Generic Connectivity and Heterogeneous Services on metalink.  Also the Oracle product: Transparent Open Gateway.

-- Mark D Powell --
Phone (313) 592-5148

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Beckstrom Sent: Friday, August 08, 2008 1:54 PM
To: oracle-l-freelists; oracle-db-l
Subject: connecting Oracle to SQL Server

Isn't possible to access a SQL Server database from within an Oracle database.  If true, can someone point me in the right direction.

 Jeffrey Beckstrom

Database Administrator
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority 1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113

Scanning of this message and addition of this footer is performed by SurfControl E-mail Filter software in conjunction with  virus detection software.