Re: 12G Desupport for Raw Devices

From: Dan Norris <dannorris_at_dannorris.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 15:18:51 -0500

I'm expecting 11g R2's official customer release to be near OOW 2009,
but there's nothing official on that yet. I know the beta program is
just getting started now, so seems unlikely that it'll be released much
sooner than fall 2009.

As for raw device support, I have heard the same rumors of raw support being removed or at least deprecated by v12g, but as you've found out, there's nothing official on that yet either. There have been rumors of ASM supporting OCR and Voting disks in 11g R2, but I haven't seen that yet either, so I can't say for sure until we start seeing some of the new features lists leaking out.

I don't see raw device support as a big issue as I don't believe that it would affect that many customers (if you except OCR and Voting disks). It's been a long time since I've seen an Oracle database running with data files directly on RAW.

Dan

Andrew Kerber wrote:
We are discussing it also.  The note seems to say that the OCR and Votedisk are both going to be supported within ASM.  I will really be interested to see if that is actually the case.

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Bradd Piontek <piontekdd@gmail.com> wrote:
is it a long way out? I was having the discussion with a team mate this morning after I read the article on metalink. If it is such a small thing, why announce it so far out? Is Oracle prepping customers well in advance of the desupport (couldn't find any other 12g references on a quick metalink search) to give them time to prepare for this?

Is 11gR2 going to be announced at OOW this year?
On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 2:24 PM, jason arneil <jason.arneil@gmail.com> wrote:
Oh, I don't know about pushing OCFS/OCFS2, I think ASM is where the big push from oracle is.

You are right, about this chicken and egg syndrome, but 12g is a LONG way out.

We are still waiting 11gR2, right?

jason.

--
http://jarneil.wordpress.com

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 8:01 PM, Bradd Piontek <piontekdd@gmail.com> wrote:
I would think storing the OCR and voting disks in ASM would be an issue, as ASM is just another cluster resource and is generally brought up by ASM. My guess is they'll be pushing the use of OCFS/OCFS2 a bit more.

Bradd Piontek
Oracle Blog: http://piontekdd.blogspot.com
Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/in/piontekdd

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Matthew Zito <mzito@gridapp.com> wrote:

We were discussing this over here, and the big question we came up with is:

"Does this mean that simply raw devices a la old school Red Hat (/dev/raw/raw1) are desupported, or that all character/non-buffered IO devices are desupported (a la /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 or /dev/sda2 with O_DIRECT)?"

If the former, it's a non-issue for most environments, if it's the latter, it opens up a host of questions around what will be supported.  Effectively, it requires that people have a clustered filesystem to use, or somehow Oracle jobbies up ASM such that you can put OCR and voting internally and making ASM a dependency for CRS to run.

Matt

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital@singnet.com.sg>
Subject: 12G Desupport for Raw Devices
To: oracle-l@freelists.org
Date: Thursday, August 7, 2008, 11:02 AM

For those using Raw Devices (wether for Redo Logs in non-RAC or for

Database Files as well in RAC),

see MetaLink Note#578455.1   "Announcement of De-Support of RAW

devices in Release 12G "

Hemant K Chitale

http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com

"A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a

'Yes'

merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble."

Mohandas Gandhi
 Quotes

:  http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mohandas_gandhi.html

Andrew W. Kerber