Multi-column Range Partitioning

From: Sanjay Mishra <>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 12:04:10 -0700 (PDT)

Are you using multi-column range partitioning? If yes, I would like to know any known issues, restrictions and best practices on using multiple columns as the partitioning key. Please note that I am referring to multiple columns in the PARTITION BY RANGE clause, not the composite partitioning (subpartiitons)?

I have a situation where I could range partition by ORDER_DATE, or use multiple columns (ORDER_DATE, CUSTOMER_ID) in the range partitioning key. I am about ot start benchmarking our workload on both the designs. I will appreciate if you can share your experiences and example of scenarios where you really benefited by adding extra columns to the partitioning key.