ORA-12520 TNS:Listener count not find available handler for requested type of server

From: Li Li <litanli_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 14:24:04 -0500

Hi List,

we have an application that's vendor installed to run on the default 1521 port. It needs to accept both "dedicated" and "shared" connection depends on if there's a line (server=dedicated) in tnsnames.ora . After we changed the port to a non-default port, it only accepts "shared" connection (no (server=dedicated) in tnsnames.ora thus defaulting to "shared" connection) and gives the ORA-12520 error when trying to connection as "dedicated" (with (server=dedicated) in tnsnames.ora). I've tried solution provided by http://www.shutdownabort.com/errors/ORA-12520.php, but after I used the local_listener parameter, all connections become "dedicated" even without (server=dedicated) in tnsnames.ora

I googled around and couldn't find any light, I'd greatly appreciate if anybody can point me to a right direction!

Here are the configurations:

OS: Windows 2003
Oracle: 10.1.0.5

init.ora has:
*.dispatchers=(address=(protocol=tcp)(port=nnnnn)(dispatchers=7))

listener.ora
LISTENER =
  (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =

(PROTOCOL = IPC)
(KEY = xxx.world)
) (ADDRESS =
(COMMUNITY = TCP.world)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(host = hostname)
(PORT=nnnnn)
)

  )
STARTUP_WAIT_TIME_LISTENER = 0
CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER = 10
TRACE_LEVEL_LISTENER = OFF
SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
      (SID_NAME = xxx )
      (GLOBAL_DBNAME = xxx )
      (ORACLE_HOME = D:\oracle\ora10g)

    )
  )

tnsnames.ora
xxx.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =

(COMMUNITY = TCP.world)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = hostname)
(PORT = nnnnn)
)

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
       (SERVER=DEDICATED)
        (SERVICE_NAME = xxx)

    )
  )

sqlnet.ora
TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT = OFF
#sqlnet.authentication_services = (NTS)
names.directory_path = (TNSNAMES, EZCONNECT, HOSTNAME) names.default_domain = world
name.default_zone = world
automatic_ipc = off
SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME = 3
ora_encrypt_login=true