RE: RESOURCES ARE NOT FREED WHEN A SESSION DIES ABNORMALLY.

From: Baumgartel, Paul <paul.baumgartel_at_credit-suisse.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 13:42:28 -0400

I worked on Windows database servers for a couple of years. You can use "alter system kill session". The purpose of orakill is to provide a way to kill the underlying Oracle process thread if "alter system" doesn't work--in this way it's analogous to "kill -9 <oracle session PID> on Unix/Linux. Remember, on Windows, Oracle sessions are threads, not individual processes.

Paul Baumgartel
CREDIT SUISSE
Information Technology
Prime Services Databases Americas
One Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10010
USA
Phone 212.538.1143
paul.baumgartel_at_credit-suisse.com
www.credit-suisse.com

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Powell, Mark D Sent: Friday, August 01, 2008 1:28 PM
To: freelist freelist
Subject: RE: RESOURCES ARE NOT FREED WHEN A SESSION DIES ABNORMALLY.

Joe, If the database is on Windows then yes I would use orakill rather than ALTER SYSTEM. Being that I do not normally run Oracle on Windows I do not know if the official recommendation has changed but it was to use orakill instead of ALTER SYSTEM when the utility was first introduced. I am not sure from the OP if the database is on Windows also or just the client was on Windows.

  • Mark D Powell -- Phone (313) 592-5148